How good is salmon for your health?Fun fact: you can have salmon for dinner very day of the week, and still have a smaller climate footprint than just one meal of beef. It’s clear that salmon is the best choice when it comes to the environmental sustainability, but what about the health of the person who choose to have salmon for breakfast, lunch of dinner? We sum up 5 health benefits of salmon.
1. A great source of proteinProtein is an essential nutrient people get from their diet and plays a number of important roles in the human body. It helps your body heal after injury, it protects bone health and it maintains muscle mass during weight loss as you get older. 100-gram serving of salmon contains around 22-25 grams of protein. Recent research has found that each meal should provide at least 20-30 grams of protein.
2. Rich in omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHAThe most common omega-3 fatty acids are ALA, EPA and DAH. ALA is the plant-based omega-3 fatty acid. EPA and DHA are best known ad fish fatty acids. Salmon is one of the most best sources of EPA and DHA, which recent research found to be the acids that reduce the risks of fatal and non-fatal cardiovascular outcomes and help to balance blood pressure.
3. High in B12 vitaminsB12 is an essential nutrient that your body can’t make on its own, so you need to get it from your diet of or supplements. Salmon is an excellent source of B vitamins. A portion of 90 grams of cooked salmon can pack over 100% of the recommended daily intake for vitamin B12.
4. A good source of potassiumPotassium is an essential mineral that the body requires for a variety of processes. Since the body can’t produce potassium, it has to come from your diet. Getting enough potassium is essential for bone and heart health and vital for people with high blood pressure. Salmon is extremely nutritious and packed with potassium.
5. Contains astaxanthinThe four health benefits mentioned above are widely known, but few people know however that salmon also contains a unique antioxidant called astaxanthin. While wild salmon contains more astaxanthin, our sustainably farmed VÅRLAKS salmon contains more than enough astaxanthin to reap the benefits of it. Natural astaxanthin can improve skin condition and protect against UV damage.
A popular and healthy choiceSalmon is one of the most popular fish choices in the world and the most popular fish in America thanks to its rich, buttery flavor. It’s tasty, versatile and wildly available in most markets. It’s one of the most nutritious foods on the planet and not only is this popular fish leaded with nutrients, but it may also even reduce certain risk factor for several different diseases.